Sometimes, the beautiful designs are too pretty to take apart and put back in the box so I created a permanent "Tinker Toy" that sits in the living room for enjoyment everyday.
I used wood dowels from the hardware store and round wooden beads in place of the cylinders. Here's how:
1. I used garden pruners to cut my wood dowels into seven-inch pieces. You can cut as many as you'd like...I used seven.
2. The ends where you cut will not be clean cuts, but they'll be covered so not to worry.
3. Using a hot glue gun glue two sticks together in the center.
4. Keep gluing more sticks so that it stands.
5. Mine didn't turn out perfectly symmetrical but I liked the looseness of the design.
6. Add wood beads to all the ends of the dowels.
7. Mine were different wood tones which was fine since I planned on painting it.
8. Cover the holes on the ends with Spackle, let dry and lightly sand to smooth.
9. Spray with a primer--I used Zinsser in an oil base spray.
I'm still deciding where its permanent home will be but I smile whenever I walk pass it!