I got the recipe for this apple cake from another mom in my daughter's play group--that was almost 27 years ago!!! I still have the recipe written on the original index card that I copied from her, so you know this is going to be good.
I make it for Rosh Hashanah since apples are in season, it's an easy parve dessert and I always get rave reviews. It also looks pretty baked in a bundt pan and drizzled with a sugar glaze.
5 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons cinnamon
3 cups flour
2 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup vegetable oil
2 teaspoons vanilla
1/3 cup orange juice
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 1/2 cups confectioners sugar
2 tablespoons margarine
1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1-2 tablespoons water
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Slice apples, then toss with sugar and cinnamon.
3. Mix flour, sugar, salt, eggs, oil, vanilla, orange juice, baking soda and powder.
4. Mix everything together--you will have a very thick dough.
5. Grease a bundt pan--fill it like this: dough, apple, dough, apple, dough.
Bake for 1 1/2 hours.
After it has cooled, pour glaze over cake.
As you can see, the apples were picked with care from my favorite little apple picker!
Have a Healthy and Sweet New Year! See you back here on Wednesday.