Friday, June 29, 2012

Slipcovering a Chair

Although I am not a sewer, I wanted to try making a slipcover for a bedroom chair. Since it's not in a high-traffic area, I hoped my limited sewing skills would work for this project.

I had an old chair sitting in the basement that was passed down from my mother-in-law. It had a nice shape but not such nice fabric. I knew this would be the perfect chair for Moussia's room since the glider that was still there since she was a baby was going to soon move to another room for my daughter's new baby (due any day now)!
I did cheat--I had both cushions professionally made by an upholsterer and I sewed the slipcover for the frame of the chair. I knew my limits and chair cushions with cording and zippers are not something I felt comfortable doing.

Here is the before photo. I already took off the cushions and sent them to the upholsterer but you can still get a good idea what it looked like. I liked the lines and it was in really good shape.

The first thing I did was cut off the shirt.
It seemed to date the chair and made it look fussy.

Next I cut fabric pieces to fit each side of the chair and pinned them in place.
This took a while but after each side was done it was time to sew.

This took a good part of my day since there were so many seams to sew.

When I was done I turned the whole slipcover inside out and had to do some "touch-up's" where my sewing wasn't quite correct.
Slipcovers are a great option to update and freshen an older upholstered chair or sofa for not much money.

Linked up to:
Fingerprints on the Fridge 
French Country Cottage
Sew Much Ado
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...